normally, during the transition from foot flat to heel off, the foot dorsiflexes as the body moves forward;
gait consequences of equinus contracture:
- patient may adopt a toe to toe gait pattern or a toe to heel gait pattern (premature forefoot loading)
- reduced propulsion
- excessive knee hyperextension
- excessive foot pronation which...
The knee - formed where the bottom of the thigh bone (femur) meets the top of the shin bone (tibia) - is arguably the body's largest and most complex weight-bearing joint. When the knee is healthy, the joint moves freely. This is because the joint is covered with white elastic...
Summary and References.
Shoulder arthritis may result from wear and tear, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, rotator cuff tears or may follow surgery for recurrent dislocations.
Edited By: Frederick A. Matsen III, M.D., Winston J. Warme, MD
Last updated Wednesday, December 23, 2009
I feel strongly that a large part of my job as a physician is to inform my patients about whatever medical problem they have come to see me about. If ,after your visit to see me and after reading the material here you still have questions, PLEASE call so I...
- patients with ankylosing spondylitis are prone to C-spine fracture following minor trauma;
- acute neck pain in a patient with ankylosing spondylitis is usually caused by a fracture through the ankylosed spine;
- site of involvement...
Hip dislocation/subluxation may occur in upto 30% of patients w/ spastic CP, and may occur in upto 50% of patients w/ spastic quadriparetic CP;
- more severe contractures with unilateral or bilateral hip dislocation occur in the nonambulatory child with spastic quadriplegia;
- hip subluxation may be more likely in asymmetric in...
posterior column extends from obturator foramen thru posterior aspect of the wt bearing dome of acetabulum & then obliquely
thru greater sciatic notch;
- frx of posterior rim & posterior column arise from MVA, most likely as result...
The hammertoe deformity usually consists of a hyperflexion deformity of the proximal interphalangeal (PIP) joint. Clawing of the lesser toes is a combination of the hammertoe deformity, plus hyperextension of the metatarsal phalangeal (MTP) joint.
From leading impact orthopaedic journals, to orthopaedic websites you follow, you can browse, read, and share favorite orthopaedic content, presented in a streamlined format and delivered to you -.ORTHOREADER.